Governor McAuliffe Announces Appointments to Virginia Higher Education Boards
RICHMOND – Governor Terry McAuliffe today announced his appointments to the Boards of Visitors at Virginia’s colleges and universities, the State Council for Higher Education for Virginia and the State Board for Community Colleges.
“The leaders of Virginia’s higher education system will set the course for institutions that are essential to our Commonwealth’s economic success,” said Governor McAuliffe. “I speak personally with every person I appoint to serve our college and university system, and I ask each one to use his or her knowledge and experience to foster innovation at their institutions, to keep the burden of tuition as low as possible and to emphasize teaching skill sets in the high demand fields of the future. Virginia has one of the best higher education systems on the globe and I am confident that these leaders will keep their schools moving forward as we work together to build a new Virginia economy.”
Governor McAuliffe’s appointments to Virginia college and university boards, as well as to the State Council for Higher Education and the State Board for Community colleges are below.
Christopher Newport University
- Robert R. Hatten of Gloucester, Managing Partner of Patten, Wornom, Hatten & Diamonstein
- Steven S. Kast of Poquoson, President and CEO of Boys & Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula and Southeast Virginia
- *N. Scott Millar of Newport News, Senior Director of Canon Virginia, Inc.
College of William and Mary
- *Thomas R. Frantz of Virginia Beach, Chairman, Williams Mullen
- James Hixon of Virginia Beach, Executive Vice President of Norfolk Southern Corp.
- Karen Kennedy Schultz of Winchester, Professor and Director, Center for Public Service and Scholarship, Shenandoah University
- *Todd A. Stottlemyer of Oak Hill, Former CEO of Acentia, LLC
George Mason University
- *Karen Alcalde of Arlington, Alumna of George Mason University
- Stephen M. Cumbie of McLean, CEO of NVCommercial Incorporated
- David T. Petersen of Vienna, Accenture Executive Director, retired
- Shawn N. Purvis of Manassas, VP & GM, Cyber Division, Northrop Grumman Information Systems
James Madison University
- Matthew A. Gray of Richmond, Virginia State Director of The Humane Society of the United States
- Jeffrey Grass of Arlington, Executive Chairman of LiveSafe, Inc. & Chairman & CEO, buySAFE, Inc.
- Maria D. Jankowski of Richmond, Deputy Director Virginia Indigent Defense Commission
- Deborah Tompkins Johnson of Prince William, Manager-Regional State & Local Affairs for Dominion Virginia Power.
- John C. Rothenberger of Great Falls, CEO of SE Solutions
- Craig Brendan Welburn of Manassas, CEO of ECC Enterprises Holding Company LLC
- Michael A. Evans of Hanover, Retired Human Services Administrator
- *David H. Hallock, Jr. of Richmond, Chief of Staff to U.S. Senator Mark Warner
- *Marianne M. Radcliff of Richmond, Vice President of Kemper Consulting
Norfolk State University
- Ann A. Adams of Virginia Beach, Assistant Vice President Human Resources, Norfolk Southern Corp.
- Kenneth W. Crowder of Norfolk, Presiding Elder Norfolk District, Virginia Conference, African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
- Michael Helpinstill of Williamsburg, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Newport News Shipbuilding
Old Dominion University
- Yvonne Toms Allmond of Norfolk, Senior Vice President, Private Banking, TowneBank
- Donna Scassera Fischer of Norfolk, President of DLS Engineering Assoc., Inc.
- Mike Henry of Alexandria, Chief of Staff to U.S. Senator Tim Kaine
- *Frank Reidy of Virginia Beach, Director of Pennsylvania General Energy
- Mary Ann Hovis of Oakton, retired business executive
- Mark S. Lawrence of Roanoke, Vice President of Carilion Clinic
- *Randolph J. Marcus of Richmond, Senior Advisor for Policy, Office of the Governor
State Board for Community Colleges
- *Carolyn S. Berkowitz of Burke, managing Vice President of Community Affairs at Capital One
- Douglas Garcia of Fairfax, Director ETS High School Equivalency Testing
- *William C. Hall, Jr. of Richmond, retired executive at Dominion Resources
- Catherine B. Reynolds of McLean, Chairman and CEO of The Catherine B. Reynolds Foundation
State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
- Minnis E. Ridenour of Blacksburg, Senior Fellow and Executive Vice President and COO, Emeritus of Virginia Tech
- Katharine M. Webb of Richmond, former Senior Vice President Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association
University of Mary Washington
- Heather Mullins Crislip of Richmond, President and CEO of Housing Opportunities Made Equal of Virginia
- Davis Rennolds of Richmond, Vice President of McGuireWoods Consulting
- Rhonda S. VanLowe of Reston, Legal Counsel for Rolls-Royce North America Inc.
University of Virginia and Affiliated Schools
- Whittington W. Clement of Richmond, Partner, Hunton & Williams
- Tammy Snyder Murphy of Red Bank, NJ, Co-Owner, Murphy Endeavors, LLC
- James V. Reyes of Washington D.C., Director of Reyes Holdings LLC
- Jeffrey Clemens Walker of New York City, NY, Vice Chairman, United Nations Secretary General’s Envoy’s Office for Health Finance and Malaria
Virginia Commonwealth University
- Ron McFarlane, RPh of Raleigh, NC, Group President, Specialty Infusion Services, Diplomat Pharmacy
- Carol S. Shapiro, MD, of Fairfax Station, Plastic Surgeon, Medical Director of Wound Healing Center, Sentara Northern VA Medical Center
- *Sudhakar Shenoy of Reston, Founder, Chairman and CEO of IMC, Inc.
- *Jacquelyn E. Stone of Richmond, Partner of McGuireWoods LLP
Virginia Military Institute
- Lara Tyler Chambers of Manakin Sabot, Co-Owner & Financial Manager of Tyler Development Group LLC
- Brian R. Detter of McLean, Executive Vice President of Artis, LLC
- David L. Miller of Brentwood, Tennessee, President and COO of Community Health Systems, Inc.
- Gene Scott of Henrico, retired Regional Vice President of Verizon
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Charles T. (C.T) Hill of Richmond, Retired Chairman, President, & CEO of SunTrust Mid-Atlantic
- Mehmood S. Kazmi of Great Falls, COO of Share Investment Company LLC
- *Deborah Petrine of Moneta, Chairman and CEO of CCR, Inc.
Virginia State University
- Michael D. Flemming of Alexandria, Vice President and Corporate General Counsel of Smithfield Foods, Inc.
- Glenn Sessoms of Memphis, TN, retired Vice President, Federal Express
- Wayne Turnage of Washington DC, Director of the Department of Health Care Finance