SOL Innovation Committee
Interested in serving on the SOL Innovation Committee?
The Secretary is currently considering applications for appointments to the Committee. If you are interested in serving, please submit an application online at by May 3, 2018. Please note, Committee members serve staggered terms, only some of the committee slots are opening up for consideration this spring.
The Office of the Secretary of Education is pleased to announce new members of the Committee, which will serve 2 and 3 year terms beginning July 1, 2016. Thank you to everyone who applied for and nominated candidates for the Committee!
History of the Committee
The Standards of Learning Innovation Committee was created by HB 930 in the 2014 legislative session. The purpose of the Committee is to provide the Board of Education and General Assembly with suggestions on changes to the SOL assessments, authentic individual student growth measures, alignment between the Standards of Learning and assessment, and ideas on innovative teaching in the classroom.
In October 2017, the SOL Innovation Committee approved a comprehensive set of recommendations that were developed by the High School Redesign Subcommittee and the Assessment Subcommittee.
Recommendations on High School Assessments from the Standards of Learning Innovation Committee: A Report in Response to H.B. 525 (2016)
Submitted to the Virginia Board of Education by Dr. Stewart D. Roberson, Chair, on behalf of the Standards of Learning Innovation Committee February 20, 2017
On October 29, 2015, the Committee unanimously approved their second round of recommendations. For more information, you can read the Committee’s Executive Summary and full report. These new recommendations build on the Committee’s 2014 interim recommendations; available here: 2014 Executive Summary and full report.
To send feedback to the Committee, or to sign up for email updates on the Committee, please contact us here.
SOL Committee Members
- Dr. Robert Benson of King George, Superintendent, King George County Schools
- Dr. Kim Blosser of Fairfax, Vice President of Academic Affairs, Lord Fairfax Community College
- Dr. Valerie Bowman of Richmond, Pediatrician, Bon Secours Developmental & Special Needs Pediatrics
- Jamie Clancey of Culpeper, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Clancey Counseling, LLC
- Karen Cross of Bristol, Teacher, Bristol Public Schools
- Michael Davidson of Marion, Principal, Smyth County Public Schools
- Dr. Francisco Durán of Fairfax, Chief Academic Officer, Fairfax County Public Schools
- Danielle Fitz-Hugh of Petersburg, President and CEO, Petersburg Chamber of Commerce
- Deborah Frazier of Spotsylvania, Principal, Spotsylvania County Public Schools
- Jim Gallagher of Lynchburg, Supervisor of Student Services, Amherst County Public Schools
- Sarah Gross of Richmond, Parent, Richmond Public Schools
- Linda Grubba of Lynchburg, School Counselor, Campbell County Public Schools
- Dr. Rachel Holloway of Blacksburg, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Academic Affairs, Virginia Tech
- Linda Hyslop of Hopewell, Member, Hopewell City School Board
- Jim Livingston of Manassas, Teacher, Prince William County Public Schools
- Dr. Brian Matney of Virginia Beach, Office of Research and Evaluation, Virginia Beach Public Schools
- Dr. Oliver McBride of Hillsville, retired superintendent, Carroll County Public Schools
- Laurie McCullough of Charlottesville, Director, Virginia Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Dr. Pat Murphy of Arlington, Superintendent, Arlington Public Schools
- Ting-Yi Oei, of Fairfax, retired teacher and administrator, Fairfax and Loudoun County Public Schools
- Dr. Jennifer Parish of Poquoson, Superintendent, Poquoson City Public Schools
- Annette Patterson of Forest, Special Education Teacher, Bedford County Public Schools
- Todd Putney of Roanoke, Vice President of Human Resources, Medical Facilities of America
- Dr. Stewart Roberson of Richmond, Chairman, Moseley Architects
- Vivian Sanchez-Jones of Roanoke, School & Community Liaison, Commonwealth Catholic Charities
- Bobby Shockley of Glen Allen, Assistant Principal, Richmond Public Schools
- Karen Thomsen of Bridgewater, Principal, Rockingham County Public Schools
- Delegate Jeion Ward of Hampton, retired teacher, Hampton City Public Schools
Members of House of Delegates:
- Delegate David Bulova
- Delegate Roxann Robinson
Members of Senate:
- Senator Ryan McDougle
- Senator Jeremy McPike
- Senator Stephen Newman
Ex Officio Members:
- Dr. Steve Constantino, Virginia Interim Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Dan Gecker, President of the Board of Education
- Atif Qarni, Secretary of Education